The GoI-UNDP climate risk management through disaster preparedness and mitigation
project is being implemented by Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation in Bhubaneswar
with the technical guidance of Odisha State Disaster Management Authority. The Objective
of project is to reduce disaster risk in urban areas by enhancing institutional
capacities and to integrate climate risk reduction measures in development programmes
as well as to undertake mitigation activities based on scientific analyses and to
enhance community capacities to mange Climate risk in urban areas by enhancing the
preparedness. The key outcomes of the project are as follows:
- City Disaster Management Plans
- Hazard Risk and Vulnerability Analysis
- Communities in 67 wards trained to respond to disasters
- Action plan to strengthen Early Warning Systems based on analytical studies
- Sectoral plans in each of the city to mainstream DRR and Climate Change Adaptation
in development programmes.
- Knowledge Management
The project is promoting the principles of equity, social inclusion and women’s
empowerment. The HRVA studies will identify the gender vulnerabilities. Similarly
the ward level response plans and CDMPs will address gender issues while planning
for response and preparedness. The mitigation plan would provide adequate measures
to promote gender equity and empowerment.
Progress of the Project by December-2014
- Inception workshop organized with the participation of key stakeholders of the city/state
to share the project details before implementation.
- 50 Wards level volunteers, NGO representatives and Community Organizers were trained
on preparation of Ward Disaster Management Plan.
- 33 Teachers, Engineers, and Medical Staffs of Bhubaneswar city trained the UNISDR
and UNHABITAT Toolkit on School and Hospital Safety.
- 100 Civil Defence volunteers trained on Collapsed Structure Search and Rescue.
- 50 Civil Defence Volunteers trained on Crowd Management during disaster.
- State level workshops organized on Mainstreaming Disaster Management and Climate
- State level intercity learning workshop on Climate Risk Management in urban areas
through Disaster preparedness and mitigation organized for the Executive Officers
of Municipalities and NACs.
- Slogan and Essay competition on Disaster Management and Climate Change Adaptation
was organized among the students of 10 schools of Bhubaneswar city.
- City level Exhibition –cum –Workshop on Disaster Management and Climate Change was
organized for the school students.
- A review was done on the existing City Disaster Management Plan and the review report
shared with the key stakeholders of Bhubaneswar city.
- Consultation with City level Officers on Preparation of City Disaster Management
- 30 Officers of Bhubaneswar City trained on Incident Response System.
- A survey was made by TARU the leading Edge an International Agency on Early Warning
system in Bhubaneswar City and the report of the study shared with the stakeholders
of the Bhubaneswar City.
- Hazard Risk Vulnerability Assessment of Bhubaneswar city is being conducted by RMSI
- State level workshop was organized on Climate Risk Management in Urban areas through
Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation inviting Commissioners of Municipal Corporation,
Executive Officers of Municipalities and NACs and State level Officers.
- 227 Anganwadi Workers of Bhubaneswar City trained on First Aid.
- 25 Ward Disaster Management Plans of Bhubaneswar city prepared by BMC
- 150 NCC and Scout Students trained on Disaster survival Skill
Review of Early Warning System